Kekere Freedom School is an educational organization dedicated to decolonizing childhood. Our mission is to work collectively to honor the power of young people and liberate learners of all ages. We envision a thriving social ecosystem where all children and their loved ones are celebrated, and live with joy and purpose.
Founder & Facilitator
With over a decade of experience in early childhood education, and a lifelong passion for social justice, Nuola Akinde (she/they) brings a tenacious love and deliberate optimism to her work. Nuola is the daughter of a Nigerian father and Bahamian mother, and parent of bi-racial children. She strives to decolonize her motherhood practices and create a world where her grandchildren’s grandchildren can thrive, with joy and self-determination.
Kristen Ortiz-DeLeon Hamilton
Kristen (she/they) is of Mexican-American descent and is an active member of the Ypsilanti community who is always looking to build relationships and make connections. She has three amazingly free-spirited children and a partner whose work parallels but also intersects with much of what she does within the community. Kristen has over a decade of experience in early childhood education and believes that every child has the right to feel safe, loved and cared for. Her style focuses on play based learning, child led exploration, early literacy and STEM discovery. She is also very passionate about the importance of decolonizing education and the childhood experience and cultivating a sense of community and acceptance within learning spaces. Kristen is so excited to be a part of Kekere and to learn and grow alongside the beautifully diverse folx of Ypsilanti.
Support liberated learning!
We’re delighted that you are interested in supporting community centered, decolonized education. You can help us in some of the following ways:
- Send good vibes, a love letter, or a testimonial of your experience with us.
- Spread the word about our work through social media or word of mouth.
- Volunteer with the kids (offer a one-time workshop or become a consistent presence in our community).
- Volunteer behind the scenes (administrative, cleaning, fundraising, food and resources).
- Purchase items from our wishlist. If you would prefer to support independent retailers or small businesses, email email@example.com for a link to our other wishlist.
- Donate to our fundraiser and become a monthly supporter on our Patreon. If you would prefer to send us financial support in another way, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.